We Bring Your Mobile App to Market Fast with Flutter
Flutter, a versatile app development framework, is essential in the beginning stages of building mobile applications. Mobile applications are an essential part of a company’s electronic presence. They allow us to interact with services more efficiently and conveniently. Smartphones are now in the hands of billions, in every country around the world, rich or poor. You can sell products, share information, engage with your customer base, and much more by developing a custom app. And you’d be in good company – by some statistics, Android app launches have exceeded 100,000 per month, and iOS sees more than 30,000. That doesn’t mean that all of them are successful. Much depends on the quality of the application, its usefulness, and how it’s maintained over time. Choosing the right app development framework is critical in the beginning stages, as it can mean the success – or demise – of your project.
What is a Framework? What are Your Options?
In short, you can choose to develop an application for only the Android platform, write code in Java or Kotlin and use Google’s Android studio. But if you later want to expand to Apple iOS, you’ll have to write that application all over again in Objective-C or Swift using Apple’sXcode development toolchain. Sounds like a lot of work, right?
Enter application frameworks for cross-platform development. There are many popular choices, including Xamarin, React Native, and Flutter, among others. These allow you to create an application using a single code base, and with minimal adjustments, deploy that app on iOS, Android, and in some cases even other platforms such as the web, Windows, macOS, and Linux. Each framework has its strengths and limitations.
We believe that Flutter provides the best developer experience and the greatest platform reach. This translates to greater flexibility in meeting project requirements and drastically reduced time-to-market. This can translate to reduced development costs, especially over the long term, as maintenance releases and new feature updates become easier to implement.
Who Uses Flutter?
We all want to avoid being tied to an obscure language or framework that has a small pool of developers, goes obsolete, or otherwise hampers continued development. Yet, many large names have placed their confidence in the Flutter framework.
- Google: True, they’re the creators of Flutter. But they’re doubling down on it. Google Ads is built with Flutter, with tens of millions of installs. Flutter is also a major component in the development of Fuchsia, Google’s next-generation operating system for a broad range of devices.
- Alibaba: They’re one of the biggest players in the Asian market in the financial sector as well as in consumer product sales. Xianyu is an app that helps them engage with customers. It receives hundreds of millions of monthly users while maintaining excellent performance.
- Toyota: The world-famous automaker is tapping the power of Flutter to power the next-generation infotainment systems in future vehicles. It’s enabling them to provide a premium, smartphone-like experience with a signature Toyota look and feel.
Of course, that’s only a sampling of the large organizations that are relying on Flutter for their development needs. Take a look at the growing list yourself – there are thousands of amazing apps already on the market!
What are the Advantages of Using Flutter?
Here are a few of the major advantages we’ve found
- Write Once, Run Everywhere: The benefits of a single code base cannot be overstated. Fewer bugs, less maintenance, and less development time are just a few advantages of this approach. You also gain instant access to other platforms, as Flutter now supports Windows desktop apps, Web apps, and much more in the pipeline.
- High Performance: Flutter apps routinely achieve animation rates of 60fps – delivering buttery-smooth transitions and an excellent user experience. They are compiled down to native machine code for each device, allowing them to run at full speed. Flutter apps are fast in another aspect – development. Because of Hot Reload, developers can make iterative changes to an application and see their results instantly. This allows the developer to quickly prototype an app as well as add new features with lightning speed.
- Plays Well with Yesterday’s Hardware: Millions of users have older devices, while many more are using newer entry- and mid-level devices, and as such cannot effectively use hardware-intensive applications. What is more, the look and feel of older operating systems can create challenges for the proper display of your application interface. Flutter is performant, requiring minimal system resources, and even outperforms other well-known frameworks, such as React Native and Xamarin. Moreover, the interface you design is rendered the same way on all platforms, giving you complete control.
- A Bright Future: We’ve mentioned that Flutter is developed by Google, guaranteeing continued development. And even if Google were to take a different direction, the entire framework has been released as open-source, ensuring it will be available to everyone. And with such an enthusiastic and growing community behind it, it won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.
- Quickly Produce an MVP: No, we’re not looking to hand out awards here. Rather, an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) is a development method where you develop only the core functionalities to solve a specific problem and satisfy early adopters, verifying that your idea will gain traction and thus provide itself the capital it needs for further development. With its superior developer experience and wide platform reach, this is a startup’s dream toolkit.
As you can see, a great deal can be accomplished with reduced time and development costs using Flutter.
We love software development, plain and simple. If you have an idea for an app, we want to help you make it a reality. Do you want it to integrate with other software you’re using, such as your ERP solution? We can do that. We have in-depth knowledge and experience in app development, working with companies large and small to achieve their visions. And we leverage the latest technologies, such as Flutter, to bring your app to market in record time.
Would you like to learn more? We’d love to hear from you. Please contact us now to start the conversation.
By Chandra Subramanian, CogentNext Technologies